General help understanding emf and p.d

In summary, a graph is used to show the variation of potential difference (V) across a battery with current (I) as the resistance (R) is changed. A line of best fit is drawn and its gradient is used to determine the emf of the battery and its internal resistance (r). The equation E=V+Ir is used to find the emf, and by rearranging it in the form of a straight line, the y-intercept represents the emf and the gradient represents the internal resistance. This concept is similar to the graph of an ohmic conductor, where V and I are directly proportional.
Gregg
Circuit1.jpg

Graph to show the variation of the p.d. V across the battery with current I as R is varied.

Table1.jpg

i) Draw line of best fit.

ii) Use it to determine the emf of the battery;

and the internal resistance r of the battery.

The gradient [itex] \approx \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta I} = 1.67 \Omega [/itex]

Just don't know what to do really. Need an example and explanation of the concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the internal resistance of the battery be r.
The same current,I, passes through both r and R right?

So by Kirchoff's 2nd law

the emf of the battery=sum of the pd's around the loop
If V is the pd across the load then

E=V+Ir.

Since they plotted V against I, rearrange the equation it in the form a straight line y=mx+c

you calculated the gradient correctly to give a resistance. So rearrange the equation and you will see what that gradient represents and what the intercept represents as well.

[itex] V = f(I) [/itex]

[itex] V = -Ir + E [/itex]

y-intercept is emf, gradient is -r. Thanks.

Hi I had a similar question, which I posted at the the thread 'internal resistance graph'. It was basically why are V are I inversely proportional in this graph, but proportional in the graph of an ohmic conductor?

1. What is EMF and how is it related to electricity?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the force that causes charged particles to move in an electric circuit. It is a measure of the energy that drives the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How is EMF different from voltage?

While EMF is the force that drives the flow of electricity, voltage is the measure of potential energy difference between two points in an electric circuit. EMF is the cause, while voltage is the effect.

3. What is the unit of measurement for EMF and voltage?

The unit of measurement for both EMF and voltage is volts (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who first discovered the concept of EMF.

4. How does EMF and voltage affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

EMF and voltage both play a crucial role in the flow of electricity in a circuit. The higher the EMF or voltage, the more energy is available to drive the flow of electricity. However, excessive EMF or voltage can also cause damage to electrical components in a circuit.

5. How can I measure EMF and voltage in a circuit?

EMF and voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a type of electrical measuring instrument. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit and will display the amount of EMF or voltage present. It is important to use the correct range on the voltmeter to get an accurate measurement.